Sunday 22 July 2018

Great Carveries in Worcestershire and Warwickshire

There is nothing I love more than going out for a carvery so I decided to compile a list of my favourite carvery pubs in my local area.

1) The March Hare Inn, Broughton Hackett 

I have visited this pub around five times now and every time I go the food is always brilliant. They offer 3 choices of meat (if you want it) with very generous portions and an amazing selection of vegetables (peas, carrots, broccoli, cabbage, roasted onions, roasties, boiled potatoes, garlic potatoes, cauliflower cheese, sweetcorn and parsnips) that are always fresh and piping hot. The atmosphere is always welcoming and the staff are always polite, however, as a vegetarian I was disappointed to find that even though I opted to only have veg and potatoes, I still had to pay the full price of a meat carvery (£10.95 on Sundays, £10 on Saturday evenings, £8.95 on weekdays, £5 on Mondays). Despite this, The March Hare do actually offer a Mushroom Wellington, but as I'm not a fan of mushrooms I would rather just pay the regular price! They were also very quick to bring out a veggie gravy boat which I really appreciated!


2) The Wheelbarrow Castle, Radford

I have been to The Wheelbarrow Castle five or six times over the last couple of years and have always enjoyed it as the staff are always so welcoming, kind, and accommodating. This carvery offers three choices of meat and a good selection of vegetables including peas, carrots, sweetcorn, broccoli, roasties, mash, cabbage and parsnips. The atmosphere is always pleasant here and the carving chef is always friendly. Again, my only issue with this restaurant is that although they offer a vegetarian substitute, I would love it if they would offer a simple meat-free carvery that was just a few pounds less than the regular one. However, even though I wish they would offer this, I still pay full price (£9.95 on a Sunday, £5.50 on a Wednesday) because it's just so good!


3) The Mother Huff Cap, Alcester

This restaurant has only very recently started offering a carvery, and I have only visited three times, but I must say that I have been very impressed. The Mother Huff Cap offers three or four meats and a great selection of vegetables (peas, carrots, sweetcorn, roasties, red cabbage, green cabbage, cauliflower cheese, leeks, green beans, parsnips). On my first visit, I was happy to see that as I opted to have no meat they had only charged me a child's price. During my second visit, I decided to try the nut roast (£7.95 the same as the standard Sunday carvery price) and I really enjoyed it. The waiting staff and the carvery chefs were very polite and welcoming on both occasions, taking their time to actually exchange a few friendly words which I really appreciated. One of my favourite things about this carvery was that the vegetarian gravy they provided came in a giant gravy boat (because some carveries only give you a little one and you can't smother it). Overall, I think this carvery is very good value for money and they even offer Groupon deals that make the amazing meal ridiculously cheap!


4) The Nailers Arms, Bournheath

The Nailers Arms is a great carvery located just outside of Bromsgrove. I have been six or seven times over the past couple of years and I have enjoyed it every time! From Monday to Friday it is £6.95 for lunch or £7.95 for dinner; on Saturdays it is £6.95 until 6pm then £9.95 for the evening; on Sundays it is £9.95; and for a meat free carvery it is £5.75 any day. This carvery offers three meats and a huge selection of seasonal vegetables (peas, carrots, roasted and boiled potatoes, garlic potatoes, cauliflower cheese, swede mash, green beans, sweetcorn, cabbage, and more). The service is usually very quick and the staff behind the bar and carvery deck are always polite and friendly. I really like that they offer a cheaper price for meals without meat and they always provide a large sized vegetarian gravy boat! The only criticism I have with the The Nailers Arms is that, like most carveries, there is noticeable difference in quality during the week compared to a Sunday. Obviously, the Sunday carvery is more expensive so it should technically be better than the one in the week, but on the odd occasion I have noticed that the vegetables on the week day carvery are colder and less frequently replenished. Despite this very minor issue, I still think that The Nailers Arms is one of the best carveries in my local area and is certainly far better quality and value than any larger chain establishments.


These are my favourite places at the moment but I'm always looking to try new restaurants, so if you have any recommendations please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment